View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Computer trouble with cortex command 

Post Computer trouble with cortex command
Hello everyone, I'm new here and just want to say Hi. :) I love cortex command and its unique 2d physics engine.

I have a question, cortex command runs a bit slow on my computer. At the start of the round I get 100 fps, but then as I build and action takes place, the frame rate just drops dramatically, I changed my delta time but it still occurs.

Honestly though, its not a big deal, it never goes down below 30, but even at 30 it seems a bit choppy. Here are my pc specs:

Windows XP
Pentium 4 CPU running at 3.90 Ghz
1 gig of ram
Creative sound card
Nvidia Geforce 5700, 128 mb
DirectX 9.0c

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Post Re: Computer trouble with cortex command
What kind of things are you building? Some stuff is just laggy.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:46 am
Loose Canon

Get more RAM, and a newer processor. That's all you can really do hardware-wise. As for inside Windows, you might want to try shutting down any unnecessary programs in the background, see if that helps any.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 am
Profile WWW

30fps is stil wonderful.

Your processor seems to be better than most on here (CC doesn't utilize more than one core), so the only thing I would upgrade is both RAM and also check out what your RAM speed is. 1GB is really not enough to run CC with a decent amount of mods; it's fairly inefficient at this point in time. Keep in mind that CC relies on two things only: A single CPU and as much RAM as needed. Decrease CPU usage by closing unneeded programs, and that can also clear up some RAM.

Oh, and disable mods you don't use. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't. It should help those with less RAM, which is your situation.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Multiple cores can still relieve stress from other cores. A quad core proc at the same clock speed as his P4 will beat it to death, simply because it spreads its burdens out. I also heard that the new intel i5-9 are very very good for playing CC on.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:16 am
Profile WWW

Multiple cores can be handy when there are other things running, true. In my experience, it still doesn't help for CC. I'm running a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, and I do monitor the usage. It's approximately 5% usage right now, some web surfing and running Adium (instant messaging). The process for Cortex Command will go up to around 120% at max (so there is some usage, of course) but this is due to technologies apart from CC. I'm fairly sure on that.

The i5's and i7's do have technologies that aid in this too. Dependency on a single core is becoming a thing of the past, it's mainly old multicore processors that don't share the load. I'm not sure on the i9's, I just heard about them today and I think they're a bit ridiculous. An i7 ought to be enough for anyone (the resemblance of this to a quote from Bill Gates disturbs me)

I tend not to think of the newer technologies. As amazing as they are, they are becoming too compact and prone to more problems at lower temperatures. I saw some of my favourite lines move to i5's and i7's, and they have suffered a bit in terms of durability in my opinion. I would honestly shell out a few extra dollars to get some older technology if I wanted my computer to last, and I knew high temps were going to be a factor of either route.

All that said, a 3.90GHz should be more than enough to run CC smoothly. It's only running slightly slower than my above specs at first. The problem is more likely the amount of RAM and likely the speed of it.

*makes mental note to check out i9 info*

EDIT: So basically, my experience is fairly small, if you read my first line and compare it with what I said after.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:19 am
Profile WWW

Can anyone recommend me a good cpu that will run CC smoothly.

This game is so fun that I just might re-rig my computer to play it at its best.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:26 am

DsDude wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a good cpu that will run CC smoothly.

This game is so fun that I just might re-rig my computer to play it at its best.

Dude, 30 FPS is crazy, actions just lags cc a lot. Especially killer amount of glows. [napalm]

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 am

dragonxp wrote:
Dude, 30 FPS is crazy
do not listen to this man. 30FPS is poor, and means (unless you have timescaling off) that your game is running at 50% speed.

Any of the new intel CPUs, but especially the top end ones, will eat CC for breakfast and then some. no joke, my jaw dropped as my friend opened CC and seemed to think it was normal that it loaded in under three seconds and that the game ran with little deviation from 200 FPS in a vanilla death skirmish. I think he has an i7, no idea of the core clock.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

In other words, if you have some money to burn, then find someone who Knows what they are doing by heart, then get probably an Intel i5 or i7. You're gonna need a new motherboard too, and probably new RAM, so wait until you have both a good chunk of money to spend and someone who knows their hardware to help you.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The AMD Phenom x2 processors are also pretty good. My CC loads without mods in 3 seconds.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Okay, thanks guys, I'll be saving up then. :)

I looked at my fps during another game, I get around 60 fps, but when I had big explosions that's when it drops below 30, which is normal, but I'm willing to get myself a newer processor and more ram just for the big boom. :P

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm
Loose Canon

I would say get more RAM first, if your Motherboard allows it. If there are no more open slots, then replace the old modules with newer, bigger ones. No computer nowadays should have to run with 1 gig.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile WWW

Hyperkultra wrote:
I would say get more RAM first, if your Motherboard allows it. If there are no more open slots, then replace the old modules with newer, bigger ones. No computer nowadays should have to run with 1 gig.

Well, if you had said that a few months ago, that would have applied to me, I had *gasp* half a gig. Man it was hard to play games.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Geti wrote:
dragonxp wrote:
Dude, 30 FPS is crazy
do not listen to this man. 30FPS is poor, and means (unless you have timescaling off) that your game is running at 50% speed.

Any of the new intel CPUs, but especially the top end ones, will eat CC for breakfast and then some. no joke, my jaw dropped as my friend opened CC and seemed to think it was normal that it loaded in under three seconds and that the game ran with little deviation from 200 FPS in a vanilla death skirmish. I think he has an i7, no idea of the core clock.

He said he had action going on, i was assuming mass murder.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next