View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:44 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The Riggers - May 13, 2008 

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Post The Riggers - May 13, 2008
Ocular Bleeding wrote:
Rumors, myths, and legends can be found everywhere and happen to be quite common in the vast expanse of space. Many are simply stories created to pass the time on particularly long voyages, while others, happen to hold some truth them. One particular horror story is commonly told by traders. They tell of black ships that appear of nowhere and send boarding teams of terrifying gaunt creatures with charcoal black skin and glowing red eyes. There are even stories told by soldiers of abandoned planetside research facilities and military bases filled with the same creatures. These creatures have been dubbed Riggers.

The Riggers

Riggers are a spacefaring race of notoriously sadistic creatures with an affinity for technology. They commonly attack military and trading vessels, using the ships for raw materials for their machine shops as well as using the crew for various surgical and cybernetic experiments. They live in colonies in whatever suitable location they can find. They prefer research facilities, military bases, and particularly large ships. Their origins are currently unknown.

A view of some of the Riggers' favorite armaments:
- The Fletchette Shotgun -

- Rip Pistol -

- Slug Rifle Version 1 -

-Slug Rifle V2 -

- Nano Deconstructor -

- And the hand-held ballistic salvo -

Updated Units
The drop pod and Stationary Turret have been updated by Tosty. The turret now self-destructs when you use the jetpack, and the pod just looks/feels better than it did in its beta stage. Small update for an old mod, I know. OB and the probono community still deserve their recognition. (Updated screenshots coming soon, don't have time at the moment)

All history/discussion of the Riggers can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10227&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Ocular Bleeding came up with the concept, the sprites/sounds are a compilation of community works. I have nothing to do with the creation of this mod, I just take the credit.

Attachments:
File comment: Winterous had nothing to do with this update. Just letting ya know.
Rigger.rte.rar [746.42 KiB]
Downloaded 404 times

Last edited by ppiksmada on Wed May 14, 2008 3:50 am, edited 12 times in total.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:53 am

Post Re: The Riggers - March 11, 2008
Wow, okay, the entire concept of the "Riggers" seems to be a patchwork of almost every other FPS out there storyline wise.

And the picture looked like a Necron Immortal recolor, the rigger guy even had the same stance and spinal-cord gun attachment. And the idea that they capture other peoples technology and assimilate it into their own, as well as the capturing of the biological lifeforms + resulting experimentation sounds an awful lot like the Strogg from the quake series.

This mod had better have REALLY nice sprites or else its just a generic fail on the creators part. yeah, Generic fail, not worth an epic fail.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 am

You could have atleast posted some random pics with the riggers or something like an intro or a poster or other info, since the first post looks absolutely gay right now.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am

numgun wrote:
You could have atleast posted some random pics with the riggers or something like an intro or a poster or other info, since the first post looks absolutely gay right now.

:roll: It's simple logic that the first post can't be gay, seeing as posts don't have genitalia.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 am

Funtastic wrote:
Wow, okay, the entire concept of the "Riggers" seems to be a patchwork of almost every other FPS out there storyline wise.

And the picture looked like a Necron Immortal recolor, the rigger guy even had the same stance and spinal-cord gun attachment. And the idea that they capture other peoples technology and assimilate it into their own, as well as the capturing of the biological lifeforms + resulting experimentation sounds an awful lot like the Strogg from the quake series.

This mod had better have REALLY nice sprites or else its just a generic fail on the creators part. yeah, Generic fail, not worth an epic fail.

Well, if ya don't like 'em, feel free to put them out of your mind. Don't really need to state it as it really serves no point unless you're trying to get others to dislike them, which is just mean-spirited. I mean you didn't even post any suggestions on how to improve it. You just showed up just to type up a completely unproductive post. Also, that picture was drawn by my very talented friend thetallestblue from a description I gave her. It is very much not a Necron. And what's the deal with everyone here with their rather disturbing 40k obsession? Not everything in this world is based on 40k. It's a good game, but it is not the first science fiction story universe ever made. They got their inspiration from something that came before them, pretty much just like everyone else. There's nothing that is entirely original. Smething is always inspired from something else. If you tell someone a a basic idea, they'll probably tell you of something it seems similar to. In the future would you try to be a little more considerate to someone else's creative work and not insult it?

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 am

I'm downloading this, I just saw something with H-Cutting Laser and a sprite of a minigun looking thing and I thought FALLOUT. :smile:

Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:17 pm
Profile WWW

Yay for the riggers!
They're wikkid awesome!

Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Ocular Bleeding wrote:
Funtastic wrote:

Well, if ya don't like 'em, feel free to put them out of your mind. Don't really need to state it as it really serves no point unless you're trying to get others to dislike them, which is just mean-spirited. I mean you didn't even post any suggestions on how to improve it. You just showed up just to type up a completely unproductive post. Also, that picture was drawn by my very talented friend thetallestblue from a description I gave her. It is very much not a Necron. And what's the deal with everyone here with their rather disturbing 40k obsession? Not everything in this world is based on 40k. It's a good game, but it is not the first science fiction story universe ever made. They got their inspiration from something that came before them, pretty much just like everyone else. There's nothing that is entirely original. Smething is always inspired from something else. If you tell someone a a basic idea, they'll probably tell you of something it seems similar to. In the future would you try to be a little more considerate to someone else's creative work and not insult it?

Yeah, its kinda hard to improve on something thats basically a carbon copy of other things. And I'm not obsessed with 40k, I just happened to get a copy of The Dark Crusade with my graphics card, so on and so forth I know what necrons look like and thats about the extent of it.

And as an artist myself, creating clone work is something offensieve, so unless other people get offended by that kind of stuff like I do, then they would probably agree with my post. It's just that you didn't, y'know, mention your "inspirations". At all.

Honestly, I might have liked this concept if it hadn't been for that picture, I might have overlooked everything else.

Btw, the sprites are great, it passes. For now.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Again, that picture was drawn by a friend from a description I gave her. She doesn't play 40k, or even so much as know what it is. Believe me, I've tried to talk to her about it. The similarity you say is there is purely coincidence. The race was supposed to be gaunt and skeleton-like with leathery black skin, so that's what she drew. Not sure how that would be drawn anyway else.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Ocular Bleeding wrote:
Again, that picture was drawn by a friend from a description I gave her. She doesn't play 40k, or even so much as know what it is. Believe me, I've tried to talk to her about it. The similarity you say is there is purely coincidence. The race was supposed to be gaunt and skeleton-like with leathery black skin, so that's what she drew. Not sure how that would be drawn anyway else.

Dont bother fighting him, he's just being cocktastic atm.

This is a really good and ever evolving mod and it looks good from what ive been lurking on your topic. Just keep expanding it and release it properly with a large, fat banner with flashy letters to advertise the mod and gain more potential to it.

As for designs, if you'd go looking at eradication wars mod I made for soldat, then you could see how it screams "design-ripoff-WOHOO!". I just loved those guns and named them differently. Bam! Own design!

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey. Hey Numgun. Aren't you gonna complain about the .zip file?

Anyway, I've been looking forward to this mod for a while. It's not massive, but somewhat interesting. I'm still somewhat put off by their masks. The white teeth are just a bit too white. It needs some better shading or discoloration or something.

As for the weapons, they're decent. Their actually effective against my guys without being too rape-tastic. One problem is that they lift the guns up way too high when they get into their sharp aiming position. The gun sights should be level with their eyes, not the tops of their heads.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Profile YIM

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
Bah, better post and RAR file coming tonight. It really is a good mod, some sprites could use workover but all that takes place on the mod discussion page. I'll take snippets from OB and make a worthy thread later on today. Again, I'll be updating this page as necessary based on what goes on in the discussion thread.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Darlos9D wrote:
Hey. Hey Numgun. Aren't you gonna complain about the .zip file?

No, because I dont intend using this mod (and I have not downloaded it either or any parts of it). I've only lurked the mod making section watching its progress.

And btw, you had another guy complaining the mod not loading up in CC on your topic.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:11 pm

All this talk, still no pictures?

*sigh*

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW

numgun wrote:
And btw, you had another guy complaining the mod not loading up in CC on your topic.

And btw, you still haven't provided any proof that this problem is caused by .zip files.

But more on topic, these guys are pretty good.
I hope to play as them more when you update the pack 0:

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next