View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 SHIELD: Under Siege 

Post Re: SHIELD: Under Siege
Always had it installed there, never had crashes until now. If that's the cause, then I'll have to move it. Thank you for looking into this.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 am

I certainly hope it helps, it'd be a shame if you couldn't try them out.
Even if it doesn't, please post, at this point I can't think of any other possible solutions but someone else might and it'd be worth knowing if the problem isn't with where you installed it.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:28 am

Installed it in C, and I'm afflicted with the same problem. Woe is me.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Are you using Windows Vista or 7?
Can you humour me by running the game with compatibility for windows xp and telling me if it works?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Tried that, still the same result.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 am

Your CC folder isn't set to be ready for archiving right?
Other than that I've run out of ideas entirely, assuming this isn't the problem I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it, please jump in.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:40 am

Nope, that box was unchecked.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 am

Post Reading is fundimental
I checked the seven pages, and didn't see any mention of this issue before.

Short story: Could you please upload the music files for City into any other program but Minus?

Long story: After playing through each of these missions several dozen times, as a lot of missions, especially Towers and City Prison, can lead to failure late in the mission, I had gotten bored of the normal Cortex Command music (to say nothing of the fact that I've played 27 hours of the game since 1.0 release, and probably about 20 hours of earlier versions). After trying Office Twice, I opened the console and because I was curious, and saw "Can't find music: ./Unitec Mission Music.rte/15 Space.ogg." A bit perplexed, I re-read this thread and realized I missed the mention in the second post about music.

So, I tried downloading the music from Minus, and failed. After searching and troubleshooting for a half hour, I found that I'm having the problem described at http://simplyminus.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... roceeding/. However, Download All isn't there because the .rar was uploaded by "guest", and trying Save As just gives me a message after a few minutes saying that the file can't be saved. Same story in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

So, could you PLEASE upload the music files to somewhere, ANYWHERE but Minus? Sure, I ended up completely missing the fact that there even was music available for these scenes until the final mission, but I'd still like a better choice than silence or the catchy but repedative base music for Cortex Command.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 am

I sure can. And yeah, I messed up towers in particular, it's too bloody long and (at least on my not great laptop, laggy) which gets to be kind of a pain.
Anyway, here's the music, maybe it'll tickle your nostalgia bone. Either way it makes the missions way better, mostly due to a great music script that weegee wrote (you'll see what it does when you play the missions with music).
http://www.filedropper.com/unitecmissionmusicrte

Enjoy :)

Oh and let me know if there are any problems, though I'm pretty sure the one I have sitting around should be the one that's uploaded.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 am

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response! I had no trouble downloading and using the music file now. I just wish I'd read that part and learned there was music earlier.

Two other things to note:
First, what got me about Tower was the Unitec mod's jetpacks. Every other mod and unit in Cortex Command has more powerful jetpacks than Unitec, and can be easily used in continuous jumps. Ladders in Cortex Command are as terrible now as they were when I bought this game in April 2009, so jetpacks remain the best way to get height. The trouble is, even just carrying one gun with Unitec makes the smallest obsticles insurmoutable. So, in Tower, with large drops, after trying to play the game normally for the first 5 playthroughs or so, I learned about the glitch in Cortex Command where spamming the W key can give you almost unlimited thrust. It was only when I learned that that I even had a chance to re-climb the tower after getting to the bottom. But I digress, as that is more a criticism of the mod itself than the map.

Second, in my second playthrough of Skyrise, Blood exploded as soon as he got to the middle of the vent in the first story of the building. But something similar happened to me while playing un-modded campaign on the desert map, and to the best of my memory never happened to me in previous versions of Cortex Command, so I'm not sure if that's an X-wrapping bug with specific maps, or more of a general issue with Cortex Command 1.0.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 am

You're welcome, I'm glad it's all up and running :)
Yeah, unitec requires burst jetting (rapid w tapping), once you do that flight is a breeze. It's a holdover of how jetpacks used to be an I guess Gotcha's personal preference. And yes, ladders are probably the most useless thing in the game, in fact they tend to act as an obstacle instead.
Your problem in skyrise must have been the seam bug, if it happens again when you go into that vent, that would confirm it. It's odd though, the map doesn't wrap and I've never had it happen to me in any of these missions.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

Post Messages in-game
Ah. I see.

Also, I just finished Office, meaning I'm done with the City section of this scene, and was reminded of one other thing I meant to ask: Is it possible to change how long messages show up on the screen? There were many times when the message went away before I was done reading it (but then, with each map requiring replays, I eventually got the full thing).

Also, I was playing at 1280 by 960, and some of the messages got cut off.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 am

self.TextInterval = number in the create function. Change that to whatever you want. Note that I stupidly used the messages as a count of game progression in some cases so increasing this this will delay things a bit more and, though unlikely, I can't say for sure that it won't mess the mission up. Sorry it's so fast, I play on a laptop that doesn't run CC too fast so all the messages seemed great to me. At some point I may rework these so you can do next and previous message with the space bar and backspace (or some other way). I already have the system for that ready in my next project but, as mentioned, a lot of the mission progression hinges on messages so it'd probably be a decent amount of work for me to do.

As for them getting cut off, not sure why. I play CC on 800X600 and it all fits fine. If you let me know which ones I might do something about it, but I make no guarantees. Either way you can always read or reread all the messages in a mission by looking for function *MissionName*:DoText() since they're all stored there.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 am

Post Quick messages
Ah. I'm usng an Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz. Even at 1280 by 960, the mission speed doesn't slow down unless there are more than about 10 actors on the screen, like in OMA Diggers.

Bad Boy wrote:
Note that I stupidly used the messages as a count of game progression in some cases so increasing this this will delay things a bit more and, though unlikely, I can't say for sure that it won't mess the mission up.

Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why it was that in Tenements, on my computer as soon as Jack drops to the lowest section, a message shows up for about half a second, then drop ships immediately come down.

Thanks for the clarification. If I try to replay the missions at a higher difficulty, I'll note which messages show up too fast or are cut off. For now, I'm just happy to have finished City, and I'll probably give Cortex Command another break for a while. :-)

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:13 am

Yeah, fair enough. I do strongly suggest that you give weegee's earth missions a go though, they're spectacular.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next